Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why don't the newscasters cry

This is a very similar post to one that I posted last year. But its something that God seems to be doing in me again and I hope that He starts to do the same in you.

Been spending alot of time reading articles about Africa. I dream of exploring my continent more. I get excited about the possibility of that becoming a reality. I get caught up in the beauty of my country and continent though. Maybe I choose that.
This week though I have been overwhelmed with the horrific stories that cover the pages in the newspapers. I think sometimes God just opens up our eyes a little more to whats really going on. There is a song by Jack Johnson that reminds me how hard we have become to what is happening in the world around us.

"Why don't the newscasters cry when they read about people who die, At least they could be decent enough to put just a tear in their eyes"

The war, poverty, starvation and injustice have become so normal to us. It has become such an every day part of life that we very seldom will be moved to tears by a story we hear about or read on the news.
When we cut that emotion out of lives we somehow end up ignoring the problems that people around us are facing. Maybe if we let ourselves really feel, maybe if we let those stories become real and force ourselves out of our cushioned, rose tinted world we would be more active in getting up to make a change.
Maybe if we were moved to tears when we read about the war in the Congo, the issues in Zimbabe, the increase in child prostitution and slavery we would actually do something about it.

The truth is that its much easier not to feel. The truth is God created us to feel. We are often taught not to act on our feelings. I think sometimes thats when we are most effective.

Let yourself really feel. When you read the news, ask God to help you read it with His eyes. Cause I am pretty sure that Gods heart is breaking. I'm also pretty sure that He is wanting those stories to move us into action.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren :)
    I didn't have time to read this whole post, will soon though.
    But, you like bushfire fairytales too??
    I <3 that album so much :)

    XX

    ReplyDelete