Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Make me worthy

For a while now I have been trying to figure out what makes a person great. What is it that makes people step out and make a significant difference in the world? How does one go from doing something ordinary to doing something great?
If you know anything about me, you will know that I am SO desperate to make a difference in this world. I want to know that I have significantly impacted the people that I have come into contact with.
I want to do something great, something meaningful and something out of the ordinary. Why? Because I really believe that I can. For the simple reason that I serve a radical and extraordinary God. A God who doesn’t settle on the ordinary and how life is.
But. If I’m honest with myself I am still caught in the ordinary.
I read this quote from Mother Teresa that blew my mind! She is one of my greatest inspirations- she got it. She got what it means to live a great life. Not because she wanted to be great. But because by serving the people around us, by making them great, by seeing the people around us as better than us we can change the world.
"Make us worthy, Lord, to serve those people throughout the world who live and die in poverty and hunger. Give them through our hands, this day, their daily bread, and by our understanding love, give them peace and joy."
This is huge. She asked God to make her worthy to serve the poor. She saw herself as being unworthy of serving such incredible people. People who God has a special love for. I think If I can get my mind to this place. Where I am constantly seeing myself as unworthy. Not because I want to feel sorry for myself, but because it reminds me to ask God to make me worthy of serving such incredible people. It stops me from looking down on the poor and needy. Thinking I have all the answers.
Maybe that’s the key to being great. Its leaving a legacy that is purely about God and others. Its a legacy that points back to the privilege it is to serve God, to serve His people.
He will use me to change the world.
But only because of Him am I worthy to spend time with and work with the poor.

1 comment:

  1. Wow lol... you are amazing! write a book! I will buy it! Thanks for challenging me! Love you lots :)

    ReplyDelete